March 19, 2008

Woman, I Feel Like A Man

I like to surf blogs. You do too, don't lie, you're here. I found a new one today, that combines knitting and women's reproductive rights. Yeah, in case you hadn't noticed, knitting is big everywhere. We feminists are reclaiming the creative arts and pink, proving that we can knit, have hot pink ipods, and still be dang strong.

Anyway, reproductive rights. I'm pro-life. I believe life begins at the moment of conception. When that sperm finds the egg (bingo!), a new life has been created. No ifs, ands, or buts. (As part of my beliefs, I don't believe in the death penalty. Life straight across the board.)

As I read fellow young feminists' blogs, I am confronted with a pretty common feeling: pro-choice is pro-woman. If I am pro-life (or, as they call it, anti-choice), I am not for women. I am for feudalistic slavery to men and our reproductive systems. On some level, I can understand this feeling. History books I've read have opened my eyes to what women went through in the past, and I sure as heckfire don't want to be pregnant fourteen times. However, I still believe in life and women. Can't I be for both? Now, more than ever, women have other choices than abortion if they don't want to spend their adult lives pregnant.

I don't know that I have much more to say about this, but I'm still thinking. Perhaps there are even more issues here--can I be pro-life, pro-women, and still follow God? I suppose my biggest gripe is that I want my fellow feminist knitters to accept me--to accept that my morals are not backwards and misguided. Can't we all just get along?

No comments: