March 10, 2008

Just what exactly is rural?

I'm taking a chance here--dad, please don't think this post means I'm supporting Obama. I'm just questioning semantics.

While still a registered Republican (see, dad?), I've been fascinated by this year's democratic primary. Finally, someone other than a white male is running for president. I love learning about presidents, and I can guarantee you that they were all white males. (Several also had white hair.) At last we have a choice!

Anyway, I'm not so sure about the Clintons, and I've been secretly rooting for Obama. (I guess that secret is out.) Recently, my native state of Wyoming had a good bit of attention focused on it by the Democratic party, and Obama won. Obama also won in the caucuses of my adopted state, Colorado. I grew up in a rural area of Wyoming, and I now teach in a rural area of Colorado. So, I guess I just don't understand this quote from Bill Clinton: "If you can unite the energy and the new people that he's brought in and the people in these vast swaths of small-town and rural America that she's carried overwhelmingly, if you had those two things together she thinks it'd be hard to beat," Clinton told ABC News in Pass Christian, Miss.

See, I felt like Colorado and Wyoming were rural areas with small towns, like Chugwater. I've never been president though, so maybe I'm wrong.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I wonder if yesterday's hoorah of Hillary inviting Obama to be her running mate won't be seen as a turning point in her campaign. A last ditch moment.

It defies logic/good sense, etc, that if you were losing you'd invite the winner to play second fiddle to you. It's audacious.

I'm not that interested in having the Clintons and Bushes in office for 30 years, give or take.

Amanda said...

E-zackly. You are so right. I feel the exact same way--I have been pitching that argument since she started the campaign, and you can confirm that with Mr. Cool. If you count GHWB as VP, it would be thirty-two years with a Bush or Clinton in office. This is not an aristocracy!