January 26, 2009

Pregnancy Observations

  • Maternity pants do not have pockets. I just stuck a dollar bill in my bra as I ran off to run errands around school. It was quite convenient, although I really do miss pockets. My maternity jeans, which do have pockets, have really shallow ones. I can't stick my whole hand in the pocket. If you haven't checked out my hands recently, they're pretty small.
  • When you've been chubby about half your life, and worked really hard to "suck in your gut" on a regular basis, it's both odd and freeing to just give up, let go, and let that gorgeous belly hang out. I'm starting to get used to it.
  • Ladies, if you are planning to be pregnant at any point of your life, and you do not currently sleep on your left side, start practicing. I am a life-long stomach/back sleeper, and I am missing those comfortable positions. Missing them like some women miss alcohol or cigarettes during pregnancy, I imagine. That first hour of sleep on my back after I give birth, ah, heaven.
  • I've always wondered why pregnant women rested their hands on their tummies, or touched them, and now I know. It's a magnet. I cannot keep my hands off of it. I am my own Buddha to rub.

3 comments:

Psyched2Knit said...

I always touched my stomach a lot because it was THERE. It is funny that you mentioned practicing sleeping on your left side. I worked with teen moms years ago, and I started doing the left side sleeping then. It DEFINITELY made sleeping during pregnancy WAY easier.

Best of luck!

Hannah said...

I'm a stomach sleeper, but if you're cold enough, you'll cuddle up on your side, too. Not that I'm recommending it.

Dan and Lynn said...

You can return to back sleeping once you hit menopause and are so hot that you feel you are might suffocate...