January 16, 2009

Never Plead Guilty

It is no secret to those who know me that I read a lot of British mystery novels. The quantity, my friends, is vast. And I was saddened to learn today that I will have no more to read from one of my favorites, John Mortimer. Mortimer created the truly irascible and delightful Rumpole of the Bailey (whom you might know from PBS's Mystery series), who loved Pommeroy plonk (cheap wine), She Who Must Be Obeyed (his wife), and defending obviously guilty clients. Rumpole and the Reign of Terror, one of his most recent, dealt delightfully and intelligently with the racial profiling post 9-11. Rumpole always got the guilty off, either by proving their innocence, stupidity, or using his own charm.

Mortimer and Rumpole, you will be missed. Hopefully it's a day of mourning at the Old Bailey.

No comments: