July 09, 2008

Ren Faire, Background

Busy recently, working on a baby hat and re-reading my all time favorite mystery book (Gaudy Night By Dorothy Sayers), and tomorrow Mr. Cool and I will be headed to his hometown, Colorado Springs. On Saturday, though, we will be meeting Sista Cool and Brotha-in-law Cool at the Colorado Renaissance Festival in Larkspur. I will have a camera, and Brotha-in-law is eager to mock, so I should have a great post on Sunday.

Youtube, copyright, and the internet have let me down on actual clips and pictures of some classic Ren Faire TV episodes, but here are a few to look for, if you have DVDs, TV, or more access to pirated stuff.

Reno 911--Season 4--I can't quite figure out the episode #, but it's hysterical. Dangle is a member of the Sheriff of Nottingham Department, Jones and Garcia are referred to as a "hearty Moor and Spaniard," and the miscreant has not jousted enough to lose his winter fat.

King of the Hill--Season 6--"Joust Like a Woman"--Famous and fabulous for Alan Rickman's portrayal of King Philip, the ruler of the Ren Faire who treats women as slaves, which leads Peggy to start a feminist revolt, while Hank wants to meet all his propane needs.

Simpsons--Season 6--"Lisa's Wedding"-- The below quote is from The Simpson's Archive.
A pig with an apple in its mouth rotates on a spit over a fire.  Homer,
an apple in _his_ mouth, looks it in the eyes and rotates his head in
synch.

Doris: Yon meat, 'tis sweet as summer's wafting breeze.
Homer: Can I have some?
Doris: Mine ears are only open to the pleas of those who speak ye olde
English.
Homer: Sweet maiden of the spit, grant now my boon, that I might sup on
suckling pig this noon.
Doris: Whatever.




No comments: