February 06, 2009

Thoughts About Teaching

1. If you need to vomit, please just run out of the room. Do not politely ask the teacher for a pass to the nurse, and then calmly puke into her trash can while she writes it. Just run to the nurse.

2. Giving a short quiz is a great way to distract students from the janitor cleaning the vomit off of the teacher's desk and floor.

3. As many times as I've read it, Mercutio's "Queen Mab" speech never ceases to delight me and confuse of my students. Of course, thanks to Shakespeare in Love, I can never start it without thinking of Ben Affleck saying the first line: "O, then I see Queen Mab hath been with you."

4. 9th grade students really love Mad Libs, especially when they can try and insert these words: balls, hairy, wiener, and chicken. Sadly for me, those words are always funny. Also sadly for me, they have learned what parts of speech they are (which I guess is good), so I always have to use them.

5. As you might have guessed from #3, we are reading Romeo and Juliet in class right now. I always do reader's theatre, and take any parts that are left open (due typically to small classes or absent kids.) My favorite parts to read, in no particular order: Capulet, the Nurse, Mercutio, and Tybalt.
6. It's the weekend! Have a superb one, and if you're working, may it go by quickly!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Laughing at #4. Who needs brothers when you've got classes of 9th graders?