April 20, 2008

Sunday Musings: Biblical Knitting

In honor of Sunday, and the fact that I am three pattern repeats from having my first major finished object (pictures tomorrow, hopefully), I present references to knitting from the Bible. I found multiple references to knitted garments in the NIV, but more interesting and powerful examples of knitting from the KJV.

* Judges 20:11 KJV: So all the men of Israel were gathered against the city, knit together as one man.

* 1 Samuel 18:1 KJV: And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

*1 Chronicles 12:17 KJV: And David went out to meet them, and answered and said unto them, If ye be come peaceably unto me to help me, mine heart shall be knit unto you: but if ye be come to betray me to mine enemies, seeing there is no wrong in mine hands, the God of our fathers look thereon, and rebuke it.

* Colossians 2:2 KJV: That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ

* Job 10:10-11 NIV: Did you not pour me out like milk and curdle me like cheese, clothe me with skin and flesh and knit me together with bones and sinews?

* Psalm 139:13 NIV: For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

Knitting in the Bible, based on my quick study, seems to be very intimate. A deep, intense attachment of soul and body, connected through love. The very creation of an infant is connected to knitting, as is the connection between friends and followers in Christ. It is interesting to think that whenever I have children, while I knit booties without, they will be being knit together within.

No comments: