July 21, 2010

Stay-at-Home Mom Files: Podcasts

I need background noise. Maybe it's years of teaching, but sitting in the silence, even with Lincoln and I talking and making noise, grates on me. We love music--Lincoln is a great dancer--but sometimes, I want to hear adults talking. I used to watch TV, but now Lincoln is intrigued by it, so mostly it's off. So what do I turn to? Podcasts. Free and fun, I load up my pod with tons of podcasts, and we alternate them with music all day.

Here are my favorites:

  1. Cast-On with Brenda Dayne: Knitting and music--great voice, great tunes. Probably my favorite.
  2. Travel with Rick Steves: So much fun--travel the world with Rick. These are new all the time as well, unlike his shows on PBS I've seen a bazillion times.
  3. This American Life: NPR classic--great stories.
  4. How Stuff Works, Stuff You Should Know: Fun, entertaining--two friends chat about stuff.
  5. Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase: Flight attendant tells tales on travel and airplanes--very fun, and interspersed with music, which Lincoln likes a lot.
I am trying out a bunch of new ones, so I'll probably have some to add to the list. Do you listen to any podcasts?

I will also add, that I love iTunes free single of the week and discovery download. I hit those up pretty much every week, and they are almost always gold.

No comments: