December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

This year, as I've experienced childbirth and being a mother, I am even more blown away that our Lord and Savior came to earth as baby boy. I now know what Mary had to do to take care of Christ, from tending to his circumcision, to feeding him, changing his nappies, and seeking to soothe his cries, and I am humbled and awed that Jesus came down in such a vulnerable form to save us. In winter, when we most need light and joy, we can celebrate this amazing salvation.

When Lincoln has fussed over the past (almost) seven months, one of our favorite things has been to sing "Come, Thou Fount," which serves the dual purpose of calming me down as well as him. Today, and all days, I especially think of the second verse: Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God, he to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood. I picture not only Jesus, but God the father, rescuing us from danger as we wander, just as I would rescue my son.

May your time with family (I have 17 people descending on my house!) be peaceful, joyous, and may you remember your children, or childhood, and think of small Jesus, coming to rescue us from danger.

No comments: