November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I was peeling and chopping potatoes yesterday for the mashed potatoes, I discovered this potato. It felt a bit like a sign--in the midst of all the Thanksgiving craziness/stress/food, remember the love. Cheesy, I know, but that's what makes the holidays different and special--we try to remember and show the love we have for our family and friends.

One of my favorite knitting writers/bloggers--the Yarn Harlot--writes about what an expression of love making socks for others is, as socks wear out and get holey in ways hats and sweaters won't. I think food is the same--making it is an expression of love, as it will get eaten and otherwise disposed of by the body. Food doesn't last, and I hope as you're preparing/eating meals this season, you will remember the love.

Come back tomorrow for Cutie Pie Thanksgiving pictures--drumsticks! Toy pilgrims! Football!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I like your and Yarn Harlot's meditations on food and socks as gifts for a time.

Tom did, I confess, think he'd gotten two very cool and soft hand-knit socks when we opened your present :)